Monday, November 11, 2013

Short Review: Broken Beauty by Chloe Adams

Title: Broken Beauty

 

Author: Chloe Adams

 

Series: Broken Beauty Novellas #1

 

Publication Date: September 22, 2013

 

Genre: New Adult Contemporary

 

Source: Netgalley provided a copy for my honest thoughts and review


Description from Goodreads:

**Contains graphic content and the sensitive topic of rape and its aftermath. Not intended for teens under the age of 18.**

Sometimes bad things happen to beautiful people.

When socialite party girl Mia Abbott-Renou wakes up in a garden she has little recall of the previous night -- except that she is naked...hurt...terrified. Not only has she been raped, but she knows one of her assailants: the son of a wealthy politician who happens to be her own father’s political ally.

Mia wants and needs justice. Except this privileged boy has an alibi and her father forbids her from going to the police. It’s a critical election year, one that his party might lose if his image as a doting father is soured due to Mia being labeled a lush or worse, promiscuous.

Devastated at not having the support of her family, Mia finds herself in a tug-of-war with her conscience over what to do, especially since she can’t remember exactly what happened that night. Worse, the men who attacked her have hurt several other girls, and Mia may be the key to stopping them.

Mia tries to forget, until the unthinkable happens, and she’s left reeling once again, faced with a new challenge that will force her to take more control of her life.

Originally published in October 2012 as "No Way Back" by Chloe Adams.

 

Add Broken Beauty by Chloe Adams--->Goodreads

 

Purchase Broken Beauty by Chloe Adams:

Amazon  ~  B&N  



My Thoughts:

 

The bruises will heal, but I'll never be able to forget what happened.

FYI: Broken Beauty by Chloe Adams is the same story as No Way Back (Mia's Way #1) by Chloe Adams, but it has been refined. What do I mean that it has been refined? Chloe Adams takes a different approach for the rape scene in Broken Beauty. We don't get the whole rape scene as we did in No Way Back. Other than that I believe that it's the same as No Way Back.


Broken Beauty by Chloe Adams contains the sensitive topic of rape and how the main character, Mia, deals with it afterward.



This isn't some political game! This is my life!

Mia is the daughter of a politician, and she ends up being raped by two men at a party. I felt so bad for Mia's character, because she is young and she has no support from her own family. Since her father is a politician, and one of the men who rapped her is the son of one of her father's politician friends, her father doesn't want Mia to say who rapped her. So Mia has to deal with the aftermath of being rapped both physically and mentally without the support of her own father. I HATED Mia's father. How could he do that to her? The first time I the older version of Mia's story, No Way Back, I thought she was being a little annoying. But the second time reading her story, Broken Beauty, I didn't find her character to be annoying. What I interpreted as annoying was actually Mia's frustration that there wasn't any justice being done. Mia's character doesn't change much from beginning to end. But her way of thinking of what is right and what is wrong does start to change slowly.

 


He's the kind of person I've never had in my life.

Dom is the cop that finds Mia in the rape scene. Mia develops a strong connection with him, because his presence makes her feel safe and protected. I felt that Dom gave Mia the support she needed from her own family. He listened to what Mia had to say, and he gave her his full attention. So yes, I did love Dom's character because he is easily lovable. We don't really get a lot of Dom scenes in Broken Beauty as we did in No Way Back, because this is a novella. 

 


I don't want to talk about it. I don't want to think about it.

I am just going to address the rape scene difference between No Way Back and Broken Beauty, because I loved the way Chloe Adams integrated it in Broken Beauty. The only difference between the rape scene is that in Broken Beauty, Mia has flash backs of her rape. In No Way Back the rape scene is in the first chapter of the book, and it was intense. In Broken Beauty, Mia has only remembered a few parts of the rape, but they are not as vivid as the rape in No Way Back. So far this is how Chloe Adams has redefined the story, and I love it. Why? Because I just felt that the rape happening in the first chapter of No Way Back was so intense that the rest of the story felt like it was lacking something. 

 


All my bruises are gone, and I look...normal. But even without the bruises, I'm not me yet.

I can understand why some people might have issues reading Broken Beauty, because rape is a sensitive topic and isn't often addressed in books. But Chloe Adams knows how to integrate this topic in a way that readers will develop an emotional connection with Mia's character and her story. I do plan on reading the rest of the novellas, because I want to see in what other way Chloe Adams has redefined Mia's story :). Also, the ending is a cliff-hanger for those that haven't read No Way Back. Great way to end the first novella Chloe Adams :D!

 

Final Verdict: 4 Stars

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment